Post links in a Tweet
All links (URLs) posted in Tweets are shortened using Twitter's link shortening service. When viewing the Tweet on twitter.com the original URL (or shortened version of the original URL) will be displayed. Links are counted toward the character limit.
How to post a link in a Tweet
- Type or paste the URL into the Tweet box.
- A URL of any length will be altered to 23 characters, even if the link itself is less than 23 characters long. Your character count will reflect this.
- Click the Tweet button to post your Tweet and link.
Note: You cannot opt out of our t.co link shortening service. Why? Learn more here.
A note about URL safety:
- Some URLs can be harmful. Please be careful when clicking links, especially ones that were shortened using an external link shortening service other than Twitter's t.co.
- URLs converted by Twitter's link service are checked against a list of potentially dangerous sites, and when there's a match, users will be warned before they continue.
- Always check to see what website you're on before giving out your password or downloading any software.
- Our Safe Tweeting help page has more information on keeping your account secure.